Friday 27 January 2012

Work work work

Very rarely, but now and again, I have to run for work. Well... run, or mountain bike, or at least walk fast.

I plan sports events. These have ranged in the past from two day urban multi-sport treasure hunt style events, to straightforward (but carefully put together) trail runs.

I have to choose the locations, and work out the routes for these events. It's all about finding what's best for each particular type of event, and our expected participants.

Today I was in Nottinghamshire, on site at two of our event locations, meeting with the forest managers and checking the condition of last year's routes before submitting 2012 route proposals.

This meant a midday run at Sherwood Pines, round a 13k(ish) route we use for one of our "Notorious Night Runs". Legends of Sherwood takes participants through thick woods on twisty trails, scattered with forest (and manmade) obstacles, including "the Swamp", "the Borrow Pit" and "Spooky Wood". Slow going today, as many of the guerilla trails this event uses are less obvious this year, but a bit of sunshine made a nice change.


Then to Clumber Park, to check out the route of our 10k Trailblazer run, which is an event designed for first-time trail runners (or quicker types looking for fast, flowing courses). I ran the race route (unfortunately mostly in freezing rain), and since I've never done it before, added a lap of Clumber Lake for good measure.


Certainly not a bad day in the office.


I took videos, but my work phone won't talk to my PC. I'll work it out, but the last four days of Janathon and some sleep first I think. 

Legends: 9.1miles, 1:31hrs, 10:02/mile avg pace, 382ft ascent, 1254 cals. One swamp.
Trailblazer: 10.1miles, 1:25hrs, 8:27/mile avg pace, 276ft ascent, 1421 cals. One lake.

Janathon Total. 27 days, 261 miles. Roll on February!

You can view all my run stats on RunningFreeOnline here, and please leave your abuse below. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I'd be good with swamps! Good miles Gary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deliberately avoided running through it - just checked it was still working as intended, before we send a thousand people crawling through it in a month's time. They might not be very good with it either, but it looks great in the photos!

      Delete