Wednesday 11 January 2012

Familiarly Vague

Great running tonight. I left the house with a vague idea where my 60ish minutes would be taking me, and once into my run enjoyed some well-run trails and rough roads heading south west off Beacon Hill, towards the St Swithun's Way. Once past the huge private houses in Dippenhall, a "regular" route would take me up a steep escarpment, and right on a footpath. Tonight, a quick timecheck suggested that might be overextending myself, so I took a left instead to turn in towards the axis of a loop.

Orion, the Air Guitarist
Having done so I was treated to a beautiful sight. Ahead of me the grassy hillside rolled gently down into an illuminated Farnham, silver and gold in its streetlit glory. The rooflights of the railway sheds on the far side of the Wey Valley, and beyond in the distance, a single red light hovering over Crooksbury Hill.

It then dawned on me that I was running on new trails. Within a couple of miles of my front step, and I was on footpaths I'd never visited before. Enclosed fencelines and fieldedges zigzagged their way between copse and road crossing. Path junctions tried to baffle with choices, but with the moon bright enough to scan ahead, and the giant Orion to steer me home, it wasn't long before I was back on familiar ground.

Wonderful stuff.

Tonight's run: 8.2miles, 1:06hrs, 1145cals, two muddy feet, one cheesy grin,
Janathon so far: 96.75miles. Looks like it could be the century tomorrow.
Feel free to check out tonight's run stats (and map) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment