Monday 30 January 2012

Steaming ahead

Fortunately, the UPS man arrived at ten this morning, bringing my brand new legs. After years of wearing the same legs all year round, and putting up with all the usual tiredness, aches and niggles, I finally decided to bite the bullet and start using disposables.
"We can rebuild him, we have until Juneathon."

What a revelation!

Normally, I'd wait until the beginning of the calendar month before switching sets, but since the January issue are now pretty overused (despite going for the upgrade this month), I figured I may as well unwrap the new pair and set them to work. Since I've also had a couple of colds over the last few weeks, I really pushed the boat out and spent almost an hour in the garage giving my lungs and sinuses a full degrease, polish and lube. Then just a new groin bearing and I felt good as new.

So despite yesterday's long hilly excursion, which was way too far, and too fast for comfort, this morning I felt fresh as a daisy. On my run tonight it was all I could do not to keep going, and going, and going into the frosty night.


Another new route tonight - which was a bit of a south western extension to a loop I did last year, in torrential rain and floodwater. Back then, the nervous highlight was crossing a flooded plain, knee deep in running water, gambling on finding a submerged bridge crossing the swollen river. This year, although much drier, I played it safe and ran further out, to follow a more reliable path along the Wey, and the sloping sanctuary of the railway embankment.

River and railway was a running theme (ho ho) of much of tonight's outing, and certainly the new sections. Once off my hill, I followed St Swithun's Way to Bentley village, and then crossed the A31 over a cattle bridge, before turning to join the river meadows. In and out of trees and paddocks, over footbridges and stiles, it included a quarter mile stretch where I was accompanied by curious (therefore spooky) horses. This predominantly direct return to Farnham alternated between the grassy wiggles of a riverside path, and the muddy straights of the railway.

The steam rose from the river as it wound its way along, and as the frost settled around me I had to remember to breathe downwards, as bursts of exhaled air would catch the light of my headtorch and temporarily dazzle. In these clouds of steam, and running on shiny new bio-mechanical engineering I felt like the Flying Englishman.


Tonight's run: 13.6miles, 1:57hrs, 8:37/mile avg pace, 318ft ascent, 1900cals, 20ish spooky horses
Janathon total: 295.61 miles - 4.39miles to go for the mighty 300!

6 comments:

  1. You've only got yourself to blame for Sunday's distance although I will take responsibility for the uncomfortable pace (sorry about that) if I can take at least half the credit for the provision of the fresh set of legs! Glad to hear it's all working well. Sounds like another cracking run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all Tom. The pace should have been do-able on Sunday, I'd just forgotten to pick a route with extra oxygen. Definitely another route for you and JB to join me on, providing you don't mind suffer from the hee-bee-gee-gees (I can't believe I didn't think of that before!).

      Delete
  2. What amazing Janathon mileage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Certainly more than expected this year.

      Delete
  3. Please send legs. Stop. Need to stop now. Stop. Legs not working. Stop. Nice work Gary, I know how tough it is with the bub and missus to look after. Still jealous of your adventurous jaunts, always enjoy reading the updates. Enjoy tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made it. Stop. Congrats on your 455. Stop. Maybe I should have told you earlier to stop. Stop. :)

      Delete