Friday 13 January 2012

Tickety Boo

One hundred miles in Janathon 2012 - tick!
One photograph with a trig point - tick!
One plank - tick!

Good running again tonight, the legs are starting to co-operate, now that we (that's "the legs", and me) can finally see the back of this Christmas cold. I noticed yesterday on RunningFreeOnline that the century was sneaking up, so I wanted to try and mark it with a notable geographic feature, and finally include a photograph in my post.

A right planker
So I decided to run to Crooksbury Hill, which is a green lump that watches over my right shoulder, when I'm sat at my desk, halfway up the opposite hillside. I broke the two hundred barrier on this hill last year, so it seemed fitting enough.

When I ran this lump in Janathon last year, it formed part of a loop I called "Straight Outta Compton", but I'll be badgered if I can remember how I got to it, or where I ran after it. All I can remember, is I was doing about 75% more mileage back then, and my legs felt a bit wobbly most of the time.

Tonight was a really good run. Usual routes for the first and last quarter, a bit of the North Downs Way, a smattering of new bridleways and a couple of fast miles in the mix. Bright moon, Orion doing his thing in the southern sky, Jack Frost numbing my thumbs.

The only break in my stride was when I gronked my ankle just before halfway, too busy looking for wildlife in the woodland either side of the road to notice the crevasse in the tarmac ahead of me. I went over on my ankle so far I scuffed my sock on the ground. Gronk! Oh well, run it off Vallance, that's why you've got two legs.

Tonight's run: 8.15miles, 1:06hrs, 2x young fallow deer within 20 feet, 1142calories (that's probably equivalent to a couple of rounds of fallow deer sandwiches if you include the chutney).
Janathon total mileage: 104.9
All my Janathon run stats can be found on RunningFreOnline here.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first century of Janathon 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. There might be another one on the way, but definitely not as many as last year!

      Delete
  2. Top running Goose. Glad to hear you're into your stride now after 100 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photo to mark your (100th) milestone. I have no idea what that thing you are planking on is? Perhaps you shouldn't say, as I hear people are getting fined over there for planking on public statues & historic objects & such? Or worse, falling dead off bridges or buildings (yikes!)! If you can't run without cuffing your ankle, you probably shouldn't be balancing on heights, eh? Good runs, good blogging, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big "trig point", but it's not built to the same spec as most of them, so might also be commemorative stone. Either way, it's flipping dark up there, so I doubt the rozzers are coming for me!

      Delete
  4. If you can chase down and catch the deer, I'll bring the chutney! Great work on breaking your Janathon century Goose. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete