Thursday 19 January 2012

Who goes there?

Tonight's run had a character all of its own, and came as a clear reminder of why I'm lucky enough to live so close to a great trail running area.

I left the house and headed up our hill, jinked into an unadopted side road, ducked behind the garages, through a fenceline, and once again I was on military land, and after three quarters of a mile of running emerged from the trees atop Hungry Hill, where I can see most of  Caesar's Camp before me. 

By night time, there's little indication of what lies ahead. The few street lights of the Sandy Hill estate over to my left, and the distant glow of Farnborough airfield to my right give me my bearings, and occasionally a car will drive along Bourley Road, and pick out the northern perimeter; but other than that, the place is usually dark, and all mine.

Not tonight. As I cleared the treeline I immediately saw the lights from three slowmoving vehicles on three different tracks within the range. It looked like manoeuvres. Rats. Tonight's plan might have to go on hold.

I turned left onto the southern perimeter path and within half a mile was stopped by a fellow with a big rucksack and a gun, backlit by a stationary four tonne truck. In a thick scouse accent the options were made clear: "That way or turn round please chief". 

Extreme Trig Hugging
I went "that way". Down a steep descent into Long Valley, and my plans were scuppered already. I worked out how to box round, cut a corner or two and get back on line, but another couple of miles and I came across a barricade-and-sentry set up across the main firetrack. "Halt halt" came the command. Nice to see everyone in charge of a weapon was paying attention. I halted. Chatting with the young lass at the comfy end of the gun, it seemed that pretty much all of Caesar's Camp was in active operation tonight, and my best bet was to just run randomly, and politely swerve any attention as I found it.

So that was it. I jinked around a bit, followed some deer trails, and mountain bike singletrack through the woods, turning round a couple of times when I spotted the lines of olive twine and low-slung bashas, keen not to disturb the beauty sleep of Her Majesty's finest in their overnight camps.

Two-Handed Planking

Other than that, some reasonable, if haphazard running, and a bit of mucking about at my friendly neighbourhood trig point to give you something to look at.

Tonight's run: 7miles, 1:02hrs, 980cals, two semi-automatic rifles, two "Halt, halt"s and one trig point.

Janathon: 19days, 187miles.

As always, my stats are available to view here, please leave your comments below. Now I've worked out how to reply to them individually, all are guaranteed a response, most of which will be grateful!

12 comments:

  1. That certainly kept you on your toes tonight, nice one Gary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel sorry for the poor sod on sentry duty, dreading someone like me turning up and waking up all his mates. Still, they get goretex now, so they can't complain.

      Delete
  2. and I'd just been saying how Janathon can get a bit boring runnignthe same route every night, and you end up with that lot LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not often you run into your very own World of Warcraft - but it's always surprising how polite people can be, despite facing a cold night under a tarp in full body armour!
      My running's been pretty dull compared to last year, but the upshot is that I haven't felt compelled to run a markedly different route/location every day.

      Delete
  3. ah, the perils of running at night, can't see the red flags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They stopped using red flags here when they imposed a 10mph speed limit and stopped using live fire. But this wasn't always the case... two years ago they introduced a herd of cattle ont Caesar's for "environmental grazing", sadly they were removed last year after two had died... from lead poisoning!

      Delete
  4. I reckon the troops on Caesar's Camp were the same guys I saw mobilising on Wednesday morning. You're getting a dab hand at evading trip wires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. According to the lass on watch there were units from all over the south, but she had no idea how long her lot were gonna be there. I've not set off any flash-bangs yet, but it still surprises me how easy it is to run past a DPM basha without noticing it.

      Delete
  5. Wow - that sounds really exciting (but a little bit scary)! I wonder if you can outrun them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guys with the big rucksacks, maybe... the fast pointy things that come out the ends of the guns, definitely not!

      Delete
  6. Oh my - abs of STEEL! *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all done with wires... that and a youth mis-spent.

      Delete