Thursday 5 January 2012

"Cross Country" Running


Those of you that followed my Janathon blog last year may be familiar with today’s scamperings, since it was the only route to (roughly) feature twice. It’s basically six short runs in one day.

Guess I won't be running along the riverside today then...
Every fortnight I travel 240 miles “oop north” for an 11am meeting. If I take the first train from my home town, I can arrive at about 1030. However, if I leave an hour and a half later, and forego the Underground connection in favour of a two mile cycle across London, then I can arrive by the skin of  my teeth. This makes sense to me, and is the main reason I have a foldie bike, for the to-and-fro at each end, and the time-saving crosstown dash.

In January last year, I realised I could also just about make it on foot. Whilst it’s significantly more physical than biking, it has practically no impact on those at home: Janathonists everywhere will recognise free mileage when they see it.

But it’s bloody hard. The stop-start wears you down, as does the rucksack containing office clothes, lunch, netbook, work stuff etc. Choosing running wear to allow for weather variables throughout the day in Hampshire, London and Yorkshire is further frustrated by inconsistently tropical and baltic meetings rooms at the office. It means spending chunks of the day being a little bit uncomfortable.

Today, on my return sections my pack included an extra full-sized laptop PC. Not the most welcome addition. If you’ve never run with a 14lb pack, dodging rush hour commuters, then it's worth doing once, only to feel what a redundant stone in weight does to your running. It's quite the motivator.

Todays runs: 14.2m total (2.1m, 2.3m, 2.5m, 2.7m, 2.3m, 2.2m), Avg pace 8:43/mile. Wet socks x2.
Janathon Total: 42.3miles. You can view today's runs (if the mood takes you) by clicking here.

12 comments:

  1. that does sound familar...and fun. You're spot on about slotting the miles in where you can. Sal hates the "athons" more than anything else I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Sal hates your 'athons. Karen hates mine, even though she wasn't around for half of it in 2011 (hence the mileage). She's considering doing a Febathon, where she blogs every day about how stupid Janathon is.

      Delete
  2. I'm sharing your pack pain. Company policy dictates I have to take my laptop home with me every evening. Whilst jolly useful for blogging, it does weigh the pack down. The only positive is the training gain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed at the miles you're doing with a pack right now. Chapeau indeed.

      Delete
  3. You know that you're mad? Don't you? And a running God to 'athoners everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The evidence is starting to convince me... and I'm sure that I'm a pain in the ar5e for some Janathoners!

      Delete
  4. Hm, am tempted to run with an extra stone just to give me motivation to keep losing! And I echo what Abradypus said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth trying - but maybe in February, when you can put your feet up the day after!

      Delete
  5. Indeed! Have done a number of runs home from the supermarket with a rucksack and 2 shopping bags!! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even worse - running while holding things in your hands - it feels like your feet never actually leave the ground..

    ReplyDelete