Saturday 28 January 2012

Little Switzerland

Apparently the Surrey Hills used to be known as Little Switzerland. It's a bit hilly, I grant you, but I was there all day, and I didn't eat any chocolate, or have to pay a bail bond to drive my car across the border.

Trig point on Pitch Hill, Surrey
Today was a day of bike coaching. I start the day with six clean, energetic people who want to improve their mountain biking, and end the day with six muddy, knackered people who want to go home and drink beer in the bath.

I had a really good mixed-ability group today, and we had great fun. It began with half a day of "core skills" coaching, made up of a little bit of theory, lots of practical drills, and thirty minutes of single-track riding to put it all in to practice. Half the group were making a full day of it, so after lunch we went out again for a guided ride, where I ease off the coaching, and focus on leading the group round some of the best trails this area has to offer, all at an appropriate level for their newfound techniques.

I love doing this. I do most of my MTB coaching for a great little company called Astounding Adventures, who simply call me when they want my help. But since my Monday to Friday job is so frequently Monday to Sunday (take note, all those that want my job after yesterday's blog), I don't get to do nearly as much of this as I would like.

However, this did mean that by half five, I'd already done a few miles up and down the ridges and valleys of Holmbury Hill, and the legs were a little weary. Still, Janathon isn't Pedal, Log and Blog, so off with the bike gear, on with the running gear and headtorch, and straight up the hill once more.

Tonight's run gave me chance to check a few new (and a few old) trails. The "rideability" of singletrack waxes and wanes, depending on factors like weather, timber harvesting activity, and mainly the recent use by bikers; cycles follow the trails, and the trails follow cycles, if you will.

Today's run: 6miles, 54:14mins, 518ft ascent, 823calories
Trails run: Reservoir Dogs, I Should Coco, Son of Coco, Telegraph, Three Corners
Janathon total: 28days, 267.2miles.



2 comments:

  1. Little Switzerland ... a bit of snow and you might be skiing. I really don't know how you manage to run all these miles and do all these other activities :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard going running around the same place I'd ridden all day - same trails, same hills! Still, just a few days left now..

      Delete