Friday 20 January 2012

Roads less traveled

 In December 2010 I was told about the first Janathon, and once I was sure I'd made the leap from luddite to blogger I duly signed up. At the time I thought I might average five miles per day, and spent a few hours over Twixtmas working out some nearby routes that could deliver the daily jaunt.

 What happened next suddenly made everything a bit redundant. Within ten days I'd already covered more than a hundred and sixty miles, and keen to maintain momentum, those five mile loops never got a look-in. Instead, intent to run every day in fresh locations, I pushed myself outward from my home turf and rarely looked back.

 Tonight I remembered a couple of trails that I'd picked out thirteen months ago, and worked out a way to have a look at them in an hour-long run. I donned my trusty "run anywhere" Sauconys and Ay-up headtorch, and headed over the hill on regular tracks. Dropped onto the overlooked network of unmade roads that make up "Old Park Lane"s, I finally reached Farnham town via some new and surprising footpaths and fields.

 Between the timbered shops of Lion & Lamb Walk, through the churchyard into Gostrey Park, crossing the River Wey on a bowed timber bridge. Over the busy A31 and onto another unmade road "Snails Lynch" to run alone, following the river along the very start of the North Downs Way, just a stones throw from the heaving commuter traffic.

 After a quick jink around the Shepherd and Flock roundabout, I crossed my regular southern escape route and wove onto "Green Lane" for the first time, and the final muddy section before the tarmac haul homeward.

Photo courtesy of www.nigelblake.co.uk
 Sometimes I bemoan my location. I'm neither in a great range of hills nor by lakes or the sea. In one sense I can feel like a displaced surfer, climber, kayaker, hiker or biker; and even when I think of great trail running, it's images of ridgelines and mountainsides that stir my soul. But it's easy to overlook the roads less traveled within spitting distance of our own front steps. Despite all the miles I ran in January last year, and the eighteen months that I've lived in Farnham, in this last three weeks I've still found new routes to run, and been treated on every new excursion.

 Tonight's highlight? Breezing downhill along a forgotten treelined avenue, with just a barn owl for company.

 Today: 7.8miles, 1:03hrs, 407ft ascent, 1093 cals, 20% new trails, 1 barn owl
 Janathon Total: 20 days run, 195ish miles.
 Please feel free to add a comment if your browser allows.

8 comments:

  1. All that running last Janathon and you still managed to find new routes this year - Id say you're in a fab location!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, and it seldom takes me long to remember that I'm only a few hours from miles of coastline, and scores of great hills. It's so easy to take things for granted.

      Delete
  2. I get a bit lazy and don’t really go out of my way to find new routes, so well done! Sounds like you do a bit of everything and are very active, keep up the good work and I hope your spirit guide owl visits you again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was last followed by a barn owl while mountain biking. We were blasting along a field edge, and the owl was tracking us above the hedgerow to our right. I suspect that the noise or vibration of bike or runner disturbs and disorients the owls dinner. Or they just like looking cool....

      Delete
  3. I keep finding new routes too although I do enjoy the familiar routes. I love watching the fields I run across on my regular run change through the year. I have a connection with that run and don't tire of it. But it's fun trying new routes and Fleet will encourage me down new paths and trails. Great running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my more enjoyable diversions from know trails are a result of paths worn by dogs or deer. Especially running at night, in certain weather conditions, these trails become visible, and can make great little sections. Dogs are naturals at finding fun!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. From the underside they look impossibly white, and make so little noise that they seem to soak up the sound around them. I suspect many a mouse has met his end while pointing upwards saying "They are sooo cool!".

      Delete