Sunday 22 January 2012

Free Peace Sweet

Today was a day of three parts.

Part 1 started overnight and proliferated through most of the day. It came as the random, disruptive, but  wonderful interference that is an eight week old child. In the slightly-too-late-to-still-be-called-early hours I was still Twittering with JogBlog, she with assignments to research, me with a fractious young-un to rock back to sleep.

"Little Adventures"
This is not unusual. Little-Adventures hasn't worked out joined-up sleeping yet. Spells of between twenty minutes and three hours are haphazardly sprinkled through day and night. People without children often ask "Does he have a routine yet?", to which we answer "Oh yes.... every half an hour he changes his mind."

But it's good stuff, and with challenges come rewards. A difficult night meant a wonderful day, with a long lie in for mummy (her first), and regular rounds of sleep, change, feed, sleep, change and play. As I type, he sleeps.

Part 2 was a to-do list, well ticked. Nana mucked in, gladly occupying Littl'un while his mum and I sorted out the Christmas decorations before they went into the loft, had a general clear out and spruce up, and finally built the brand-new-all-singing-all-dancing-cot-bed to replace a Moses basket, to which all babies appear to have an allergic reaction.

Part 3 was the run: very late in execution, and very light on planning. In the twenty seconds I gave myself to think of a fresh trail loop, I failed. So on with the road shoes and out the door, figuring if nothing else came to mind I could do a brainless out-and-back.

Heading up over Rowhill the legs felt a bit jangly (twenty days of running will do that), but as the Garmin beeped one mile, I was surprised to see 7:34 on the timer. A quick sense check revealed everything was settling down, and with a gentle descent ahead, I decided to try and fix on a sub 7:30 pace for the first time in months.

Straight down the deserted A325, past Aldershot's Garrison Church and Queen's Parade playing fields, then a right turn round a school where I used to play rugby, then right again into North Camp and past the Garrison sports facilities. Five miles in, and struggling to maintain pace up "Hospital Hill" I checked the watch, and with relief I saw I was averaging 7:27. I worked out that if I pressed on, I might have a spare twenty seconds to get me back over Rowhill in time.

"You boy, fetch me a bigger horse!"
A lightening stop at 10k for a photo of the Duke of Wellington on his diminutive pony, and then a straight fight uphill. Bursting over the top I fought to keep the legs turning over, and pushed again on the descent. Overshooting my turning to round up the distance I wrung every drop out of my lungs and legs, gasping in relief as the Garmin finally beeped.

The result was a very satisfying day. As I sit with tingling legs I feel invigorated that I managed to average 7:20 per mile on tonight's run, faster than I've sustained for a long time. I feel at ease in my home, knowing things needing doing are done. Above all, I feel very lucky to have our little endurance-monkey as our son.

Tonight's run: 8miles, 58:39mins, avg pace 7:20/mile. Last mile in 6:44.
Janathon total: 203miles, 1838mins, avg pace 8:52/mile, 4.2kgs lost.
As always, you can check out my stats and maps here, and leave your abuse below. All gladly received.

8 comments:

  1. Nice work, and good luck with the sleep thing. We were uber lucky with number 1 and, well, not with number 2. I am still waiting to read 'Mytchett' so I can go "my nan and grandad lived there!" North Camp...hmm, Hollybush Lane Lakes, just behind the railway station? Misty water coloured memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Mychett in the mix yet - it's a bit too much of a stretch from the front step this year. But who knows, I'm going for a bimble with Beanoutrunning this weekend, and he's been past at least twice already!

      Delete
  2. Well done on getting through Janathon with a "wee one" - can't be easy. Sounds like a great place to run

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sub-urban areas are great for a mix of running, but the key is often the safety/security thing. I have no problem running alone almost anywhere, day or night, but I appreciate that I'm very lucky, in that gives me more opportunities than many people.

      Delete
  3. As ever I'm in awe of your progress. Loathe to talk numbers but suffice to say that, even despite the best efforts of the small dark one, I was woefully underpace on my trog with the team over 5 Lane Ends this am. Just reading this blog reminds me what a miserable slacker I am...........but I'll forget it all when I throw my leg over the GS in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were overtaken by a rumble of GSs on our way along the A31 yesterday. I was very jealous. I even got "the look" from Karen to say "We've spoken about this, and you have a young son now, so don't even think about buying a motorbike". She was clearly a little bit jealous aswell.

      Delete
  4. Crikey! 7.20/mile pace 200 miles into Janathon. I've just tried to emulate you but the best I could achieve was 7.31/miles. Where do you find the energy? Mytchett might be a plan for the weekend but Auswomble has scared me off running along Basingstoke Canal with stories of the pike he has caught there. I only have two phobias and one of those is swimming with fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Go on, tell the nice people what your other phobia is! Ok, you can keep that to yourself. Regarding the energy, I just found a cadence/stride length that worked, with long straight empty pavements at my disposal. It wasn't pretty though...

      Delete