Monday 26 December 2011

Christmas Cracker

He sleeps.
For me, this Christmas has been the best in a long while, and for only one reason. My new son, Jacob. I can't deny that the last four weeks have been eventful, challenging, and "a bit of an eye-opener", but all the things that make Jacob the handful that he is, will also make him the boy he's going to be. Clearly I have to take some genetic responsibility for his constant activity, stubbornness and refusal to sleep, but I can't remember ever being as grateful for anything, or as excited about what is yet to come.

Keeping myself in good shape (mentally and physically) will become more important, yet harder than ever to fit into the day-to-day. As we reconfigure our routines and schedules round our tiny endurance-monkey, just getting out the house has become a worthy adventure.

But there is no reward without challenge, and the chance to introduce the world to a pair of eyes that are only just beginning to focus is an opportunity, and privilege.

My month of self-inflicted activity begins in a matter of days, to try and start the year off as I mean to go on. In 2011 I ran 450 miles in January, using up all my spare time and domestic credits. Many months later, my son's arrival has moved the goalposts right out of the field, meaning 2012's Janathon will be a comparatively sane-looking affair from the outside. From within, I suspect it will be every bit as testing, though distinctly less "runny", and decidedly more "push-chairy" as I include a little hitchhiker in some of my exploits....

....which is definitely the way I mean to go on.


Today:
Slept 4ish hours
Ran 5km in 21:04 min
Road biked 36.7 miles (to and from Basingstoke Parkrun)

2 comments:

  1. Aww - sweet! Congratulations on your little athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a great man once said...

    ... "Like!" ...


    Congratulations, mate. I wonder if he'll grow up before his dad does ;)

    ReplyDelete