Saturday 29 January 2011

Lord Wandsworth Loop

I look at maps with an inquisitive mind. As habits go, it’s probably not as infuriating for other people as leaving the lids off things, or playing music loudly on the train; but now and again, I might blurt out an oblique observation that’ll have my nearest and dearest rolling their eyes in despair.

However, I, like most people, take my immediate surrounding for granted. Not necessarily the landscape, or the features, but more the names that these places are given. Once you’ve spent your formative years in a particular part of the world, place names become part of a geographical vocabulary, and retain very little of their original meaning.

For example, there is an agreeable town nearby, surrounded by mixed heath, good transport links etc, but my wife (who’s not from round these parts) had no intention of living, or even going there. When asked why, she replied “It’s the name... ‘Deepcut’...  like a deep cut... that’s horrible”. She screwed up her face, and I conceded the point, I’d just never thought of it that way.

This is much easier done with the objectivity of a stranger: I’m sure a hill called Brown Willy isn’t particularly funny if you live in North Devon, and if Brooklyn Beckham’s baby sister were to be conceived in Surrey rather than New York, the people of Leatherhead would see no harm in Dave and Vicky continuing the naming tradition.



Pip leads the way

Today’s run was led by Javed, in the company of Fiona, and Pip the Labrador. We were initially joined by Andy and Huw again, on one of their pre-marathon long runs from further afield. Javed once again took us from his home, and over windy fields towards the villages of Crondall, Well and Bentley. Some fresh growth underfoot highlighted the mild January we’ve experienced in the South, but last night’s frost had set the ground rock hard in most places, and broken it into chocolate sponge cake in others. Javed and Fi were great company as always, and the running was so much easier than yesterday, it felt good to be out in the morning, in crisp air, and gently ticking off another thirteen miles.


This morning’s far point was the rolling farmland estate owned and run by Lord Wandsworth College. This location also planted the seed of this blog, but the link is tenuous. Wandsworth himself created this school to teach farming skills to orphaned boys. Yet, the name “Lord Wandsworth College” on its own might conjure up a host of preconceptions.

Some might automatically associate the name with the urban density of south west London, others may focus on the title within, and assume this is a private school, for privileged children (and it might well be). I, as a local, always remembered it as “the school that wouldn’t play rugby against ours”. I've since learned that the college has nurtured ruugby internationals like Jonny Wilkinson, so had this not been the case, I may instead think of it as “the school that used to batter us”.
A clearly wandering mind today – which feels good.


Summary:
Today: 13.2 miles, 2:03 hrs, 1830 cals
January: 416.6 miles, 60:26 hrs, 56347 cals

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I wish I'd found some chocolate sponge cake ground on my run! And yeah, maybe it was a good job they had that policy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy, Brown Willy's in Cornwall doncha know?! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Willy) There's a lovely run there on New Year's Day that I would have done if I hadn't thought it might knacker my legs for the rest of Janathon! We've got some other classic names down here, my favourite being 'Ding Dong', just outside Penzance. I couldn't see the Beckhams following their tradition if they had conceived there, but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do you run epic miles, you write epic blogs too! By the way, my favourite... Little Snoring ... In Norfolk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to take me back with each and every post, and this time it was mention of Wandsworth, which I would pass through each day on my way to and from work when I lived back in London.

    It has been a great pleasure reading your musings and learning about your adventures in Blighty. I miss the place, I miss the countryside, I miss the people. And it has been real challenge, and mostly a pleasure (hahaha!) keeping you in sight up ahead, even if well ahead. I would have loved to have actually run with you, I sense a kindred spirit.

    Congratulations Gary; you continue to inspire me.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jules - oops, sorry about that. That's my "West Country" head, where I tend to lose focus on everything except beach breaks, point breaks and reef breaks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @notmuchofarunner - I'm particularly looking forward to "Rest And Be Thankful" (Argyle and Bute), the day after tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Auswomble - Glad to help! Drop me a line if you're ever back in the UK, and fancy a bimble. garyvallance@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete