Saturday 1 January 2011

Everso Surrey....

What better way to start Janathon, than nineteen miles through the leafy lumps of Surrey?

I had every intention of enjoying my Old Year's Night without the having to stop short, so rather than planning a solo run with nothing but my dented resolve for company, I opted to enter the Surrey Inns Kanter, and put my fate in the hands of the Surrey Long Distance Walkers Association.

Wearily showing my completion certificate
in front of Tilford Village Hall

Starting and finishing in the picturesque village of Tilford, the 'Kanter is a kind of treasure hunt. It begins with the issue of a list of questions, such as "How many planks in the footbridge?", and a corresponding list of grid references, where the answers can be found. These control points are scattered amongst local features including Frensham Pond, Hindhead's "Devils Punch Powl", and Thursley Common, and with no course markings and no support points, participants have to find their way round with an OS map, carrying all their own gear. 

Whilst all questions must be answered correctly to qualify, the choice of routes between checkpoints is down to the individual, depending on how confident or fit they're feeling. This format favours the eagle-eyed as much as the fleet-footed, and trying to think on the hoof is an interesting element to mix up your running.

Today we were treated to ideal conditions in some excellent surroundings: cool and comfortable throughout, and scores of walkers and horseriders exchanging "Happy New Year"s.

I try to push myself quite hard in these events, trying to run smart, and navigate bravely for a good finish. Despite the event's official "non-competitive" status, there's always some friendly sport between the runners, and today I managed to get the better of my peers, completing in 2:46 for a cracking start to the year, and my Janathon!

Summary:
Today: 18.55 miles, 2:46 hrs, 2559 cals
January: ditto!


4 comments:

  1. organised events are such a great way to get you up and at 'em on New Years Day...please tell me you didn't RUN the Devil's Punchbowl? Not been there since I was a kid, but I seem to recall it being...well...steep...nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary - keep up that pace - blog everyday and you will be this years winner, I really hope you do, you'd be an ace winner! Cheers Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auswomble - I did indeed run the Devil's Punchbowl, but on a bridleway from bottom to top, so not as steep as the footpaths. I still felt it this morning though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean - Thanks for the encouragement, I'm making the most of the few "non-work" days while they last!

    ReplyDelete