Sunday 30 January 2011

End Game

Yesterday, Javed and I discussed my final targets for Janathon. It seems a little late in the day to be working out what to do next, but Janathon Plans A, B and C all went out the window weeks ago, and with two days left, three possibilities remained:

A. Do very little. I’ve cleared 400 miles, I’ve exceeded all my expectations. Let recovery begin.
B. Do a “reasonable” amount. Back off the mileage a bit, but not so much as to look like I’m resting on any laurels, taking the mickey, or whatever.
C. Keep it on. Set a target, make it happen.

In the process of discussing this, we also weighed up some potential targets, if option C were chosen:

434 miles – equivalent to exactly 14 miles every day in January. Tidy.
438 miles – equivalent to 700km. A nice round figure (in metric at least).
444 miles – equivalent to nothing much, but a good looking number.
450 miles – beautiful, but realistically ridiculous. Too much, too late.

I realised by late afternoon that our discussion had rendered Options A and B obsolete.
With 416.5 miles already banked, I’d need to average over 9 miles today, and tomorrow. Potentially less than I’ve done up until now, but would I be content with hitting the lowest of those targets, if the opportunity was there to do more? I was sure the bigger numbers remained possible, though a month ago I wouldn’t have believed I’d be sat here writing this.

But....  I want some time at home, I need some more sleep, I have a long trail run in the diary for next week, and frankly, the tanks are pretty empty.
 
Anti-Janathon Public Notice
So last night, I considered today’s run. I figured the least I should do was enough to keep my options open. Thinking back to last weekend’s long ‘un, I decided on a quick train journey to Alton, then a run home on the St Swithuns Way: no short cuts, no bail outs. I could get home with much of the day left, or tack some more miles on the end, depending on how I felt. I printed a map, prepared my waistpack and set out my clothes.

I awoke feeling ropey. Ablutions, clothes, breakfast, run to the train station, no turning back. From Alton station, map in hand, I pointed myself northeast, and followed residential roads to pick up the trail at Eggar School, which coincidentally hosted my first LDWA hundred mile walk in 2009. Another half mile of familiar track, then new ground, knowing that in a hour’s time I’d be recognising the trails once again, from the outrun of last weekend’s big loop.

The going was thankfully good, with an overnight frost and bright morning allowing steady progress. Rough, hard trails might be slow going, but a firm footing saves precious effort. Two steps forward, no steps back.

As the sun continued to rise, the wind dropped, and soon enough, I found myself covering old ground. The trail became hillier as I neared Farnham, and I faced my first choice, to either head north for home and bank thirteen miles, or open the box....

Private driveway to Wayne Manor
I turned south, towards Farnham station. I could link to the start of the North Downs way, and that little swerve alone should be worth another three miles. I ran on.
A mile later, I figured I could keep heading up this road, jump onto the footpath at Compton Way, and probably add another half mile, of good running. I ran on.


Soon after, and I was on trails that formed my regular loop, south of Farnham. Having been on my feet for over two and a half hours, I was already pushing the mileage, out of liquids, and with one big decision approaching. A left turn would head home, and a right turn would commit me to at least another hour of running, but a chance to hit 450 miles.

F#@K IT!  LET'S GO CRAZY!


My thirteen miler became a twenty five. I feel like I’m joyriding in someone else’s body.



Summary:
Today: 25.1 miles, 3:34 hrs, 3474 cals
January: 441.7 miles, 64:01 hrs, 59821 cals

11 comments:

  1. I think we all new which option held the most appeal for you Gary - 450, a mere bagatelle - easy for me to say but you're all over it, as they say!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not expecting anything less than 100 miles from you tomorrow!

    Ha ha, love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That is amazing! The mere contemplation of a 13 mile run turning into a 25 makes me ready to keel over! I can only look forward to the day when I may be able to manage that! well done... 450... easy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Un-be-lievable. Legend, utter, utter legend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My god, you're insane, and that's amazing. Impressed and awed, and love the line about joyriding in someone else's body. Do you think they'll want it back in February?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy ridding im someone elses body. Your funny

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go for it, dude. You're on triple my target mileage. I can cope with that. Go nuts, dude,a nd enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Good luck for tomorrow's run - 450 miles is an awesome (slightly intimidating if I'm completely honest) total. I love the idea of a 13 mile run becoming a 25 mile run by accident. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely amazing, what a fantastic achievement. You're in the Nike grid team next time it happens. Keep the good work up :)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. epic mate, epic. I wanted to finish on a marathon but it didn't work out like that, so I shall live my last miles vicariously through you, if that's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing stuff Goose. Enjoy the run today... and enjoy the lie-in tomorrow; that is if you can stop! It's like the throttle is jammed open on a fission reactor and the 'gas' will never run out!

    Thanks for the runs we've done together - really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete