Wednesday 29 December 2010

"We have the technology, we can record him"

My data from November's Queen Elizabeth Country Park XC race 
I have some really good friends. I've known this for years, yet I can still find myself gobsmacked by their generosity.

On one such occasion, I was given a GPS training device as a birthday present, to help me record my runs and cycles, and pace myself on some of my longer exploits.

In the years since, it has found itself regularly attached to my arm on many of my adventurous endeavours. Yet even on the occasions when I've remembered to turn it on, the luddite that I am, I've probably used less than ten percent of its potential.

In a few days time, my Janathon challenge will commence. Since taking the technological leap to set up this blog and create a profile on Running Free (under the name "local-adventures"), I decided to go the whole hog, and finally install the PC software that accompanied the GPS device.

After only a reasonable amount of bewilderment, I should now be able to upload my Janathon footwork into my laptop, and hence online to my Running Free page. Fingers crossed.

I remain hugely grateful to my friends for their support which has come over the years in all manner of ways. I figure if I'm unable to repay it, the least I can do is make good use of it.

2 comments:

  1. Want another bit of tech-geekiness? Have a look on Facebook for an application called RSS Graffiti - collects these blog posts and passes them straight over onto FB using the RSS feed. Works well, never had a problem with it, and it saves the faff of having to post running bits, then Blog, then paste to FB etc...

    And more logically, yes. Even the GPS Sportracker on Nokia phones is awesome for tracing runs, especially in areas where there's loads of wee tracks, often unmapped. You'll be turning into a regular geek next, mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Pyro!

    I'll try the RSS Graffiti today. I've yet to try sportracker on my Nokia, but may give it a look either during, or after Janathon.

    For the time being, I appreciate the slight wooliness of the Garmin/Googlemap interface; with all these maps going online, people might be tempted to come round and steal my washing!

    ReplyDelete